The Bylaws of the National Fantasy Fan Federation
Under the authority implied in Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution of the National Fantasy Fan Federation, the Directorate shall establish certain Bylaws to regulate the affairs of the organization, such Bylaws to be effective when approved by a majority vote of the Directorate as set forth in Article II, Section 4, of the Constitution. The secretary of the N3F shall keep a permanent record of the Bylaws, and current Bylaws shall be published in the Official Organ of the N3F not less often than once a year.
II. The Directorate
- The Chairman of the Directorate shall report to the membership all measures passed by the Directorate. The Chairman of the Directorate shall maintain updated copies of the Bylaws, distribute them to the Directorate, President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Official Editor of The National Fantasy Fan(TNFF), at the beginning of the year and whenever changed, and turn them over to his/her successor.
- Copies of all official Directorate correspondence shall be sent to the President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Each Directorate shall adopt standing rules of procedure, which shall remain in force for the Directorate of the following year, until such time as the new Directorate shall vote to accept them or adopt new rules.
- A Director who has not voted or participated in Directorate discussion or correspondence in any period of three consecutive months may be declared inactive by the Directorate, and may be removed by the President for this cause only, without prejudice.
III. The Secretary & Treasurer
- The Secretary may bill the Treasury, as needed, for expenses incurred in the discharge of the office, including the purchase of supplies for new members, the sum not to exceed $100 per year.
- The Secretary will maintain a current membership roster, and will report new memberships, renewals, and changes of address to the President, Treasurer, Official Editor, Chairman of The Welcommittee, and such other officers as the President may direct, not less often than once a month.
- The Treasurer will prepare a yearly report of all income to the N3F Treasury and an itemized list of expenditures. Also included in this report will be a listing of items which will require additional outlays, in the forthcoming year from the Treasury, and have been approved by the Directorate, but have not yet been paid. This report will be prepared for the first issue of TNFF to appear in the year following the year which the report covers.
- The President shall not hold the office of Secretary or Treasurer, except on a temporary basis not to exceed 4 weeks – due to vacancy or emergency. If the president fails to appoint a replacement within three weeks of an office vacancy or either the Secretary or Treasurer, the Directorate shall move on its own to appoint a replacement for the vacant office.
- All candidates must, by the filing deadline of August 15 of each year, have paid their dues for the year in which they will hold office if elected, and agree to serve if appointed under Article II, Section 5 of the Constitution.
- In addition to the regular candidates listed on the ballot, members may write in the name of any member in good standing as a candidate for any elective office. Any candidate so elected must submit a written statement of his willingness to serve plus the dues for the year in which he will serve, to reach the Secretary within 14 days of his notification of election. In the event of non-compliance with the foregoing, the election will be voided and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes for that office will be declared the winner.
- Annual election platforms are to be printed in the September issue of TNFF. The election ballot will either be printed in the September issue of The Fan or mailed to members separately. Members may submit either a photocopy of the election ballot or vote from an email account previously registered with the secretary rather than the ballot itself. Each paper ballot shall include space for the N3F member to write their name in print, provide their signature and also the date the ballot was completed. Ballots for Constitutional amendments and other membership referendums may also be sent out with TNFF.
- Regular publication of the N3F. The N3F has one regular publication, the Official Organ , which shall be provided free to all N3F members in good standing. The Official Organ, currently titled The National Fantasy Fan, is published in March, June, September, and December. The Editor and Publisher is appointed by the President.
A. The Publisher shall print enough copies to send to every member of the N3F as of the date of publication, plus extra copies for the President, Secretary, and head of Recruiting, and any other extra copies that the President may direct the Publisher to print.
B. In the event a Regular Publication does not appear as scheduled and the President appoints a Stand-by Editor to publish it, this Editor will be reimbursed as if he were the regular Editor if the magazine is mailed within two months after the appointment by the President.
C. The Official Organ shall contain a list of new members and renewals, as reported by the Secretary; the Constitution and Bylaws of the N3F in the June issue, and the Roster of the membership in the March and September issues.
D. Deadlines for material submitted to TNFF shall be the 15th of the month preceding the month of publication. Any deviation from this date must be announced in the previous issue.
E. No single issue of TNFF may exceed 36 pages, without Directorate approval. The Publisher will notify the Chairman of the Directorate of receipt of any issue not conforming to this page limitation, before printing.
F. Advertisements in N3F publication is free, restricted to N3F members, and are subject to space limitations in the judgment of the editor.
G. The N3F Roster, while available for membership use, is not for sale as a mailing list to anyone.
- Others. Publications issued by subordinate Bureaus of the N3F and not sent to the entire membership shall be sent to the Secretary for information and record. In the case of N’APA that shall be construed to mean the Alliance Amateur or other official business publication and not the entire bundle. The cost will be borne by the Treasury of the N3F upon presentation of an itemized bill to the Treasurer.
- Neffer Amateur Press Alliance. All N’APA members must be members in good standing of the N3F.
- Exchange Agreements. The President can authorize exchange agreements with other publishers who will receive all N3F publications, and the President or other designated person will receive all their publications.
Directorate motions in the nature of Bylaws passed prior to the original compilation and publication of these Bylaws and not included among them, are rescinded.
Amendments to these Bylaws may be made with approval of a majority of the Directorate.
- Membership dues are payable annually and include receiving one copy of the Official Organ (paper or electronic). Individual memberships are $18 per year. Additional memberships at the same household address, with no additional copies of the Official Organ, are $4 per year per person.
- The number of Life or Honorary members created by Directorate vote may not exceed 5 memberships or 1 percent of the total membership of the N3F, whichever number is greater. This rule shall not operate to reduce the number of existing Life memberships at any time
IX. Member Benefits
- The following membership benefits are reserved solely to dues-paying members (“paid members”): holding, running for, or being appointed to any elected office; holding the office of Secretary, Treasurer, Publisher or Official Editor; voting for elected office; receiving printed copies of club publications paid for by the treasury; and representing the organization in any official capacity.
- Life Members appointed by the Directorate are granted the same membership benefits as Paid Members, regardless of whether they pay dues or not.
- Members of the general public may fully participate in all N3F activities except for those reserved solely to paid members.